Compliance Technician, Bureau of Network Technology Services
Health with NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH)
$29.71 - $34.95 per hour
Last updated on Apr 17, 2023
Established in 1805, the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (the NYC Health Department) is the oldest and largest health department in the country. Our mission is to protect and improve the health of all New Yorkers, in service of a vision of a city in which all New Yorkers can realize their full health potential, regardless of who they are, how old they are, where they are from, or where they live.
As a world-renowned public health agency with a history of building transformative public health programming and infrastructure, innovating in science and scholarship to advance public health knowledge, and responding to urgent public health crises — from New York City’s yellow fever outbreak in 1822, to the COVID-19 pandemic — we are a hub for public health innovation, expertise, and programs, and services. We serve as the population health strategist, and policy, and planning authority for the City of New York, while also having a vast impact on national and international public policy, including programs and services focused on food and nutrition, anti-tobacco support, chronic disease prevention, HIV/AIDS treatment, family and child health, environmental health, mental health, and racial and social justice work, among others.
Our Agency’s five strategic priorities, building off a recently-completed strategic planning process emerging from the COVID-19 emergency, are:
1) To re-envision how the Health Department prepares for and responds to health emergencies, with a focus on building a “response-ready” organization, with faster decision-making, transparent public communications, and stronger surveillance and bridges to healthcare systems 2) Address and prevent chronic and diet-related disease, including addressing rising rates of childhood obesity and the impact of diabetes, and transforming our food systems to improve nutrition and enhance access to healthy foods
3) Address the second pandemic of mental illness including: reducing overdose deaths, strengthening our youth mental health systems, and supporting people with serious mental illness
4) Reduce black maternal mortality and make New York a model city for women’s health
5) Mobilize against and combat the health impacts of climate change
Our 7,000-plus team members bring extraordinary diversity to the work of public health. True to our value of equity as a foundational element of all of our work, and a critical foundation to achieving population health impact in New York City, the NYC Health Department has been a leader in recognizing and dismantling racism’s impacts on the health of New Yorkers and beyond. In 2021, the NYC Board of Health declared racism as a public health crisis. With commitment to advance anti-racist public health practices that dismantle systems that perpetuate inequitable power, opportunity and access, the NYC Health Department continues to work in and with communities and community organizations to increase their access to health services and decrease avoidable health outcomes.
Program and Job Description:
The Bureau of Network Technology and Telecommunication Services (NTTS) aims to provide DOHMH programs and staff, our external partners and providers, and all citizens relying on our systems and services with a highly reliable and available network infrastructure and services for both voice and data. Resilient and centralized data center services for applications and hosting databases, a customer service-oriented and secure computing environment, and delivery of information technology products and resources that have been designed, engineered and implemented to support and facilitate the agency in all of our initiatives.
DUTIES WILL INCLUDE BUT NOT BE LIMITED TO:
Develop and configure the VMware Carbon Back and VMware Carbon Black Cloud as cyber defense tools to respond to combating today’s advanced and persistent threats on all endpoints in DOHMH. (Virus and malware attacks).
Monitor the network traffic to reduce exposure to ongoing threats to move quickly and fortify our defenses.
Coordinate with senior IT Security cyber defense staff to validate network alerts to perform the prioritization of potential cyber-attacks.
Manage all prevention needs to identify malicious activity and investigate into security incidents.
Safeguard system assets by identifying and escalating potential and actual security problems.
Protects system by defining access privileges, control structures, and resources.
Recognizes problems by identifying abnormalities, reporting violations. (employees that violates agency and NYC cyber regulations).
1. A baccalaureate degree, from an accredited college including or supplemented by twenty-four (24) semester credits in cyber security, network security, computer science, computer programming, computer engineering, information technology, information science, information systems management, network administration, or a pertinent scientific, technical or related area; or
2. A four-year high school diploma or its equivalent approved by a State’s department of education or a recognized accrediting organization and three years of satisfactory experience in any of the areas described in “1” above; or
3. Education and/or experience equivalent to “1” or “2”, above. College education may be substituted for up to two years of the required experience in “2” above on the basis that sixty (60) semester credits from an accredited college is equated to one year of experience. In addition, twenty-four (24) credits from an accredited college or graduate school in cyber security, network security, computer science, computer programming, computer engineering, information technology, information science, information systems management, network administration, or a pertinent scientific, technical or related area; or a certificate of at least 625 hours in computer programming from an accredited technical school (post high school), may be substituted for one year of experience.