Let us know what you think about this website by sending us feedback
Campus Security Assistant
Security with City University of New York (CUNY)
Full-time, Part-time, Temporary
$15.30 - $15.51 per hour
New York City
Last updated on May 15, 2023
In accordance with the policies of The City University of New York and individual colleges/units, and under supervision, incumbents perform duties supporting campus/location public safety and security.
Campus Security Assistants work closely with Campus Peace Officers. The major distinction between a Campus Peace Officer and a Campus Security Assistant is that Campus Security Assistants do not receive Peace Officer status.
Typical Post Duties
- Act as a First Responder to alarms and calls for service.
- Observe campus activities, reporting suspicious behavior and other incidents to Central Dispatch and/or a ranking officer within Public Safety.
- Enforce college rules and regulations as specified in Standard Operating Procedures.
- Check IDs and parking passes/decals (where applicable) of students, faculty, staff, and visitors, in accordance with the College’s access policy.
- Answer department telephone lines, including emergency calls.
- Provide travel directions to college and to college campus buildings, offices, and services.
- Accept items to campus Lost and Found.
Typical Administrative Duties
- Maintain a personal record (memo book) of daily job activities and incidents, as they occur, in the manner determined by the Campus Public Safety Director.
- When assigned, carefully monitor the premises through the campus CCTV system.
- Perform assigned Fire Safety duties, including acting as a Fire Warden or Fire Guard during fire drills, emergencies, and other building evacuations.
- Act as central dispatcher, when assigned.
- When assigned, maintain post and tour logs, guaranteeing that logs are kept current and entries are up-to-date.
- Maintain radio contact with the Department’s Central Dispatch.
Must meet one of the following qualification requirements:
- A total of 1 year full-time work experience or 1 year of U.S. Military service
- 60 college credits (with a minimum GPA of 2.0) from a regionally accredited or New York State registered four-year college or university or An associate’s degree from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university,
- English Proficiency: candidates must be able to speak, read, write, and comprehend the English Language well enough to meet the minimally acceptable performance standards set for the job tasks
- United States Citizenship or Permanent Resident status
- High School Diploma or GED
- Valid New York State Security Guard License.