Let us know what you think about this website by sending us feedback
Human Capital Specialist
NYC Office of Emergency Management (NYCEM)
Full-time, 40 hours per week
$57,500 - $64,500 per year
Last updated on Mar 14, 2023
The Human Capital Specialist is responsible for assisting in the daily functions of the HCM team across the areas of recruitment, benefits and timekeeping. Under the direction of the Director and Deputy Director of People and Culture the Human Capital Specialist will be responsible for:
- Be the subject matter expert and main point of contact in all aspects of the agency’s Health Benefits, including assisting employees with health benefit related questions and scheduling follow-up appointments with employees regarding the submission of forms
- Be the subject matter expert and main point of contact for Department of investigations (DOI) form processing. This includes notarizing and sending completed documents to DOI
- Manage all aspects of the agency’s Personnel Folders, including organizing and creating new hire and promotional folders, sending Traveling Personnel Files and logging resigned employee files in the agency’s records management system
- Process and submit all Oath of Office forms and payments
- Prepare all New Hire, Processing, Benefit and Intern packages
- Present New Hire Orientation and Benefit Orientation on a weekly basis
- Run Processing Appointment meeting for potential New Hires
- Schedule follow-up appointments with employees regarding New Hire documentation and answer any questions
- General personnel administration, maintenance, and follow up including reporting, filing and scanning.
- Assist in the agency’s Recruiting efforts
- Log Job Vacancies into NYCAPS
- General Data Entry in the agency’s Human Resources Data Base
- Assist with revamping the agency’s Internship program
- Special projects as assigned
The selected candidate will be assigned to periodic Emergency Operations Center team and will be expected to work non-business hours during emergencies. The selected candidate will also participate in drills and exercises, assist with Ready NY presentations to external groups, and will undertake special projects as assigned.
Minimum Qual Requirements
- A master’s degree from an accredited college in emergency management, public administration, urban planning, engineering, economics, political science, the physical sciences or related field and one year of satisfactory full-time professional experience in one or a combination of the following: emergency management, fire, police, or military service, public safety, public health, public administration, urban planning, engineering, or another specialized area to which the appointment is to be made; or
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and two years of satisfactory full-time professional experience in the areas listed in “1” above; or
- A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent approved by a state’s department of education or a recognized accrediting organization and six years of satisfactory full-time professional experience in the areas listed in “1” above, at least two years of which must have been in one of those areas, or another specialized area to which the appointment is to be made.
- At least three-five years of human resources experience
- Three-five years of City human resources experience is preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proactive and independent with the ability to take initiative.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Working knowledge of NYCAPS, CHRMS and other City programs
- Working knowledge of City health benefit forms and processing
- Working knowledge of City on-boarding processes and policies
- Notary is preferred