Adults and out-of-school youth age 16+ can take free classes to learn English and prep for HSE/GED exams.
Free ESOL classes are available to New Yorkers who want to learn to speak, read, and write in English. There are also HSE/GED test preparation programs for those who want to earn a high school equivalency diploma.
Classes are free to those who:
- Live in New York City
- Are low-income
- Are 16 or older
- Are not enrolled in school right now
- Do not have a high school diploma, unless it’s a Foreign or IEP Degree
- Cannot, speak, read, or write the English language well enough to participate in education or training programs in English
You’ll also need to take a basic test to find out if you’re eligible.
The program runs in the summer, June-July.
Find a program near you on discoverDYCD.
- Select „Educational Services” and click „Search”.
- To find a provider near you, search for „Adult Literacy” in the Keyword Search.
- Contact a provider to learn more about their programs and how to apply.