See something out of date on this page? Suggest an update to this program
This pre-apprenticeship training prepares you for an apprenticeship with a construction trade union.
This full-time program gives hands-on training in construction trades like carpentry and electrical. It also teaches math skills, an overview of the industry, and professionalism and job readiness. After you complete the program, you will be given special consideration for when interviews open for apprenticeships in construction unions.
There are providers who offer tailored trainings:
- Non-Traditional Employment for Women – Serves women, transgender, and non-binary people
- Construction Skills – Serves minorities from all five boroughs
- Pathways to Apprenticeship – Serves re-entry, justice-involved, and low-income people.
In order to be eligible, program candidates must:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be a New York City resident
- Be authorized to work in the United States
- Have a High School Diploma or equivalency (GED/HSED)
- Have eighth-grade reading and math comprehension or above
- Be interested in a career in the construction trades
- Be willing to commit to a multi-year paid apprenticeship program with a union (after the pre-apprenticeship)
- Be able to attend unpaid training during the day Monday through Friday (limited night class options)
Four to seven weeks of full-time training during the day, Monday through Friday.
Complete the interest form on Career Discovery NYC.