See something out of date on this page? Suggest an update to this program
Students can get help meeting CUNY’s standards for English and math to prepare for college courses
CUNY Start, Math Start, and English Start help students on their way to get associates degrees get a strong start in college.
It is a collaborative, student centered learning environment where you can:
- Increase your understanding of math and English
- Prepare for college level coursework
- Meet CUNY’s proficiency milestones
CUNY Start programs are offered at multiple CUNY community and senior colleges.
Open to students who:
- Earned a high school or high school equivalency (HSE or GED) diploma
- Completed all CUNY admissions requirements
- Have been accepted to a campus that offers the CUNY Start/ Math Start program
- Need extra help with English, math, or both based on your CUNY English and math placement tests ( proficiency index score)
- Were recommended to the program
- full-time 25 hours per week
- part-time 12 hours per week
- 8-10 week cycles during the fall, spring, and summer
- students receive between 14-20 hours of weekly English or math instruction.
Day and evening schedules are available.