See something out of date on this page? Suggest an update to this program
English and math help for CUNY students
CUNY Start, Math Start, English Start by City University of New York (CUNY)
College prep, Improving English skills
Adults, CUNY students, Older adults, Youth and young adults
Last updated 3 days ago
Students get help meeting CUNY’s standards for English and math and prepare for college courses
CUNY Start, Math Start, and English Start help students on their way to get associates degrees get a strong start in College.
It is a collaborative, student centered learning environment where you can:
- Increase your understanding of math and English
- Prepare for college level coursework
- Meet CUNY’s proficiency milestones
CUNY Start programs are offered at multiple CUNY community and senior colleges.
Special programs that offer credits and that support adult learners are available at select campuses.
Open to students who:
- Earned a high school or high school equivalency (HSE or GED) diploma
- Completed all CUNY admissions requirements
- Have been accepted to a campus that offers the CUNY Start/ Math Start program
- Need extra help with English, math, or both based on your CUNY English and math placement tests ( proficiency index score)
- Were recommended to the program
- full-time 25 hours per week
- part-time 12 hours per week
- 8-10 week cycles during the fall, spring, and summer
- students receive between 14-20 hours of weekly English or math instruction.
Day and evening schedules are available.
- Complete all CUNY admissions requirements
- Connect with the CUNY Start, Math Start or English Start program at your campus
- Attend an information session
- Pay your $35-$75 CUNY Start student fee. A small number of fee waivers may be available.