See something out of date on this page? Suggest an update to this program
Apprentice in a NYC public school for five months and become a full-time teacher
The NYC Teaching Collaborative is an alternative teacher certification program that helps you become a Partner Teacher. Work in NYC Public Schools while getting all your requirements to earn your initial teaching certification in New York State.
Get four months of extensive hands-on training experience in a classroom setting before teaching full-time. You will also get your master’s degree in education, with financial help from the program.
The 2023 training stipend is $10,000. Training begins in January 2024 and concludes in early June 2024.
- Bachelor’s degree by the start of training
- Minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Authorized to work in the United States
- Never been certified to teach or completed a program that would lead to certification in the U.S. or Puerto Rico
Spring training is full-time, from January until June. University coursework continues during the summer. During your first year as a full-time teacher, you get support and mentorship. Continue your master’s degree coursework into your second year until you are able to apply for initial certification in New York state.