Paid job training to work on NYC's rooftops
NYC °CoolRoofs by NYC Department of Small Business Services (SBS) and NYC Mayor's Office of Climate and Environmental Justice (MOCEJ) | The HOPE Program
Adults, Immigrants, Justice-impacted individuals, Low-income New Yorkers, NYCHA residents, Public assistance recipients
Last updated on Apr 03, 2023
This 10-week paid training program offers hands-on experience making NYC rooftops more energy efficient.
NYC °CoolRoofs pays participants to coat rooftops in a reflective material that reduces the building’s energy output. This training opportunity includes 10 to 11 weeks of full-time, paid work experience installing energy-saving reflective rooftops at a starting wage of $15 per hour. You can also earn credentials in the construction sector, including 4-Hour Flagger, 4-Hour Scaffold User, Fireguard, CPR/First Aid, and Construction Site Safety Training (SST) certification at no cost.
All candidates are expected to meet the following minimum requirements:
- Age 18 or older
- New York City resident
- Able to work a flexible schedule that includes early mornings
- Able to navigate New York City and travel to installation sites throughout the five boroughs
- Committed to pursuing a career in construction
- Able to perform manual labor, such as climbing stairs, carrying 50-pound buckets, and working on a roof in all weather conditions
- Able to wear a mask for a 7-hour shift and follow safety protocols
- Able to work with paint that contains latex and silicone ingredients
- Prior driving and construction experience
- Able to use email, phone, and maps applications
The program has a flexible schedule, including early mornings and weekends.